Sunday, July 24, 2011

It's Franken Time!

A couple days ago I saw a picture where someone had layered green polish over copper and then buffed the green off in spots to expose the copper underneath for an oxidized copper look. It was really pretty and I really wanted to try it myself except that, when I looked through my green polishes, nothing I had was the right shade! Then I spied a half-empty bottle of old base coat. Eureka!

I scooped up the base coat and my green polishes and got ready for some experimenting. I didn't want to use up a lot of polish so I decided to use the original brushes to drip the polishes into the bottle of base coat. I used 5 drops of Petites Sea, 20 drops of Street Wear Hippy Dippy, 50 drops of Revlon Scented Beach and 10 drops of Revlon Aqua Blast.

.
I thought the drips of polish falling into the bottle looked really cool


I used Milani Bijou Bronze for the copper. Lovely application, smooth and opaque in two coats, but yesterday's weather was horrendously humid so I had a bunch of bubbles.



And here is my brand new franken: Oxidized Copper! It ended up a little more sheer than I wanted but that actually works to my advantage.



I then brushed my new franken over the copper in small patchy areas, varying the placement on each nail. I used about five coats to build up the color in my chosen areas, sometimes overlapping a bit to make it look more natural. With so many coats built up the oxidized copper does tend to bubble but that actually makes it look even more authentic oddly enough!

I took photos of both hands this time since I did different placements on every nail.

 Left hand.

Right hand.


6 comments:

JenBunni said...

really cool and pretty

Unknown said...

The franken is the PERFECT color for what you were going for! Great job!

Kristen said...

what an awesome idea!

Jenn said...

Thank you so much everyone! I had a lot of fun with this, makes me want to do some more frankening!

http://www.adesiretogetcreative.com said...

Wow, this is so cool! I'm definitely bookmarking this page for future reference. :)

JenBunni said...

so so pretty Jenn